Welcome to the Blockchain Academy
Training and consulting on blockchain and cryptocurrencies in South Africa and various other countries. We train attendees about the opportunities that exist and how to use this technology in order to innovate and better prepare for the future.
Our next course is the Bitcoin and Blockchain Beginner Course being held in Johannesburg on twelve September 2017.
The outcome of this course is to provide individuals with a general overview of bitcoin and the blockchain. Attendees will learn more about what bitcoin is, its history, how to use bitcoin: storing bitcoin in a wallet, buying and selling bitcoin on an online exchange, as well as sending and receiving bitcoin from one person to another without the need for a trusted third party.
The course also provides an overview of the blockchain: how transactions are stored on the blockchain, how mining works through consensus, the differences inbetween permissioned and permissionless blockchains and why these differences are significant.
The course further explains current use cases and opportunities this technology provides in terms of include clever contracts, payment rails, immutable ledger, proof of ownership, remittances and micro-transactions. It also discusses alternatives to bitcoin and the bitcoin blockchain.
The course touches on current regulation and compliance globally and in South Africa.
This course provides attendees with an insight into the future of this technology in terms of innovation and disruption of existing traditional systems and processes.
Module 1: Introduction
- Money and currency
- Digital currencies explained
- History of Bitcoin
Module Two: The Blockchain
- 101 of the blockchain
- How are transactions stored on the blockchain
- What Bitcoin mining is
- Permissioned and permissionless blockchains
- Side chains
Module Trio: Using Bitcoin
- Where and how to get bitcoins
- How to store bitcoins in a wallet
- How to send and receive bitcoins
- How to trade bitcoins on on-line exchanges
- Bitcoin pricing and volatility
Module Four: Bitcoin Security
- Security issues and the pseudo-anonymity of Bitcoin
- Security measures such as multi-signature transactions
- Backing up and restoring wallets
Module Five: Bitcoin Scalability, Risks and Limitations
- Transaction volumes and block sizes
- Block propagation speed
- Proof of Work efficiencies
- Mining pools and centralisation
- Mining prizes and incentivisation
- Wallet theft
- Regulatory friction
Module 6: Use Cases and Opportunities
- Payment rails
- Immutable ledger
- Coloured coins and digital asset ownership
- Time-stamped records
- Proof of ownership
Module 7: Merchant Acceptance
- How to integrate Bitcoin as a payment method
- Benefits of using Bitcoin as a payment method
- Payment processing companies
- Verification of transactions on the blockchain
- Successful case studies
Module 8: Bitcoin Compliance and Regulation
- Regulation globally and in South Africa
- Bitcoin compliance
Module 9: The Future of Blockchain
- Bitcoin for remittances in emerging economies
- Digital currencies and financial institutions
- Digital currencies and innovation
- The value of Bitcoin and the blockchain as a technology
- Alternatives to Bitcoin and the blockchain